Visit the Driver License website for more information. Sorry to say, but services are not available online. If ownership of the vehicle is not changing AND the vehicle is not a model year being tested this year, you will not need to have the vehicle tested. New residents have 30 days from moving in to apply for new DMV registrations. Obtaining a motorcycle endorsement. DC DMV information for new District residents. Titling your vehicle. Visit Washington’s Mandatory Insurance page for more information. If ownership is changing OR the vehicle is a model year being tested, you will need to have the emissions test done. If the state you’re coming from does not have a sales/use tax, and was purchased less than 90 days ago, tax will be due. The DMV will give you a 60-day, temporary paper license. The FIRST STEP in this process is to obtain your Washington driver license. © 1999 - 2020 DMV.ORG. In addition to the mandatory cross state car title transfer fee of $12, the WA DOL may require you to pay other applicable title fees and sales or use taxes. When do I need to complete my vehicle registration change of address? Online voter registration Update your voter info for your new address. Fortunately, you can complete your change of address online through Washington's Change of Address System. With your Washington Driver License and, possibly, your Emissions Test in hand, you would now be ready to come in to a licensing office to register your vehicle. Will the state of Washington issue me a new driver's license or ID card? Act fast - you'll need to obtain an Washington driver's license within 30 days of becoming a resident. This applies to all passenger cars and trucks, motor homes, and motorcycles. Call today, I'm moving to Washington from another state, Vehicle Certificate of Ownership Application, I'm moving from Washington to another state. Ah, the age old question. Bring the reading with you and we will have you fill out the Odometer Disclosure when you arrive at a licensing office. Your Customized Guide for Moving from One State to Another. For more information, please refer to our Car Registration in Washington, D.C. page. Driver's license updates How and when to update based on your unique move. Department of Licensing View this information on emissions testing to verify if your vehicle will need a test. Is proof of liability insurance required? Save your real driving skills for the road. In some states, you have less than 30 days to update your driving records and/or vehicle registration, so now's the time to act! All Service Centers, Adjudication Services, and the Brentwood CDL Office are operating on an … Check out our free tools. All registered owners must be present with their unexpired Washington driver license. Accessibility. We don't fault you for asking. For more information about any other exemptions or benefits you may receive while stationed in D.C., visit our Drivers in the Military page. All other vehicles, including trailers, motor homes, ORV's and vessels are not exempt. Obtaining a driving record. For more information, visit our following pages. If you are under 21 years old, you will be issued a Youth Operator license which will expire on your 21st birthday. For most vehicles we have the resources available to find this information, but it is not guaranteed. When you receive a license from your new state, Washington will automatically cancel your driver's license. Will filling out an official U.S. You can also complete your change of address by mail here: Driver Records P.O. Box and packing guides How many boxes you need, where to get them, and more. Official WA State Licensing (DOL) website: licensing and regulating drivers, vehicle and boats, and over 30 types of professions and businesses. You will, however, have to pass a vision exam. Health Information Privacy Information If your vehicle is less than 10 years old, we need to know how many miles it has. free tools to simplify your move. Registration fees depend on several factors including the weight of your vehicle, where you live, and the types of license plates you want. You must change your information yourself to ensure you're able to vote at your new address, and that you remain on the organ donor list. Once you've moved to Washington, D.C., you must transfer your out-of-state driver's license over to the D.C. DMV. Use these Not automatically, but you can request one. The Department of Licensing (DOL) oversees driver services throughout the 39 counties in Washington State. Our experts are available to help. If you live in certain counties in Washington, you may need to have an emissions inspection completed on your vehicle before registration. Nope. Before the D.C. DMV will register your car, you must show proof of adequate car insurance. Passenger vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds, and personally used trucks with a gross weight of 12,000 lbs or less are not subject to use tax as long as they were acquired and registered in your home state for at least 90 days prior to moving to Washington. For more information, visit our Applying for a New License (Drivers 18+) in D.C. page. Looking for New to Washington DC in another state? Olympia, WA 98507. If you're new to the district, you may be required to have your vehicle inspected for safety. Moving Passenger vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds, and personally used trucks with a gross weight of 12,000 lbs or less are not subject to use tax as long as they were acquired and registered in your home state for at least 90 days prior to moving to Washington. We've compiled everything you need to know about updating your driving records with your new residential or mailing address. The Department of Licensing Services. If you don't wish to drive in the district but need a form of identification, you can apply for an ID card from the Washington, D.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). All vehicles must also meet the state's emissions standards. This must be done in person at a DMV office; you cannot register your car online or by mail. Your financial institution can send you a copy or fax one directly to the licensing office you are working with. Registering your vehicle. In the District of Columbia, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) oversees your vehicle- and licensing-related tasks; these include but are not limited to: Other agencies handle other aspects of the process as you establish residency: Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV. Before you cruise around the new neighborhood, add updating the Department of Motor Vehicles to your moving to-do list. For more information about auto insurance and to compare quotes, visit our Car Insurance page. If you have just moved to Washington, you have 30 days to register your vehicle. These include transferring your driver's license, registering your vehicle, and registering to vote. Postal Service Ah, the age old question.